The Way of Cross has no analogues throughout Europe. You will find it in the south of Vilnius on the right bank of the Neris River in Verkiai Regional Park. It is among the city’s greenest and most relaxing route.
In the 17th century, authorities decided to build the Calvary in Verkiai as a way of giving thanks to the lord for the victory over the Russian army. Both the hills of the Verkiai neighbourhood – renamed Golgota, Marija, Sionas and Mount of Olives – and the stream, reminiscent of the Cedron flowing through Jerusalem, were well suited to this sacred place. The Calvary was created as an accurate reflection of Jerusalem, so pilgrims unable to visit the Holy Land could repeat Jesus' last journey. Founder – Jurgis Bialozaras, Bishop of Vilnius.
The Vilnius Calvary remained unchanged and was frequently visited by pilgrims until the Soviet era. Their popularity is shown by the release of the pilgrim-beloved Guide to Vilnius Kalvarijos, which was published in 1838. Unfortunately, in 1963 Soviet authorities called for the demolition of 31 chapels and reconstruction only began after Lithuania regained its independence. The work lasted for 12 years, and in 2002 during Pentecost all the chapels were solemnly consecrated. Today, the Vilnius Calvary Ensemble consists of the Church of the Discovery of the Cross and 35 Stations.