St. Faustina (Helena Kowalska, 1905-1938) experienced mystical visions: in 1931 in Plock, Jesus appeared to her twice, commanding her to paint his image.
In 1934, artist Eugenijus Kazimirowskis (1873-1939) painted the Divine Mercy according to her visions, and the painting now has a special sanctuary near the Dominican Church. St. Faustina saw the vision again in Vilnius. The nun talks about this in her diary, which was also published in Lithuanian in 2005. Pope John Paul II declared Faustina to be blessed (1993) and a saint (2000). She is the pioneer of the cult of Divine Mercy.
The wooden house where the mystic lived is included in the Register of Lithuanian Cultural Heritage Values. In 2005, the house was taken over by the Divine Mercy Foundation and housed the Memorial Centre for Pilgrims. In 2008, the house was renovated and both the authentic chapel and Faustina's room were restored.
Entrance is free