The treasury of the Vilnius Cathedral is the oldest and most abundant treasure trove of all the churches of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It began to accumulate immediately after Lithuania’s christening and the establishment of Vilnius Cathedral in 1387, and its history reflects the entire life of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The treasury holds a large and impressive collection of goldsmith masterpieces; a monstrance, ecclesiastical cups, relics, many church utensils and tapestries. Despite the treasury suffering damages and looting in a number of wars, its collection has continued to grow to this day.
The treasury was hidden at the beginning of the Second World War and was rediscovered unintentionally only in 1985, leading to the restoration of the sanctuary – 189 treasures are registered in a special act. The Cathedral’s treasure trove has been open to the public since 2009 and is now exhibited in the Church Heritage Museum. However, the impressive liturgical objects are also lent and used today in masses held at Vilnius Cathedral.
There are also various expositions and constantly updated exhibitions in the museum. The museum’s most valued treasure is the crystalline reliquary of St. Eustachian in the shape of cross, which was a gift to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania’s Vilnius Voivodship from Chancellor Albertas Gostautas, as well as monstrance given to the Church of St. Nicholas by Geranainiai.