In the 17th and 18th centuries, the intersection of Stiklių, Gaono and Žydų Streets was home to a glass market. At the time, it was possible to find several Jewish merchants and a wide variety of goods. During the Nazi occupation of Lithuania, the Jewish Quarter turned into the Small Ghetto that about 11,000 Jews were transferred to. The Small Ghetto was liquidated on 21 October 1941. The vast majority of Jews living in it were murdered.