The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is first on the list of churches on churchpop.com and is recognised as one of the most beautiful Catholic churches in the world.
The Church of the Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul is not only a masterpiece of architecture, but also a historical testimony to the victory of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania against the Muscovites and their subsequent expulsion from Vilnius following six years of occupation.
Without a doubt, it is the most famous Baroque church in Vilnius. Its special interior is filled with about two thousand statue and according to legend, this place used to be a temple dedicated to the pagan goddess Milda.
There was once a wooden church that was destroyed during the wars with Moscow. Mykolas Kazimieras Pacas, an Emon who wanted to celebrate Vilnius’s liberation from the Russians, built the present church. The church acquired its present appearance in 1676 and was later decorated with stucco mouldings and murals. The Rococo pulpit was built at the beginning of the 19th century.
Until 1989, the remains of St. Casimir were stored in this church, which is often called the Baroque Jewel of Vilnius. Although the building’s construction was quick and smooth, the architect was not satisfied with the work of the local craftsmen and invited Italian masters Giovanni Pietro Perti and Giovanni Maria Galli to finish the interior design, which includes some 2,000 stucco mouldings.
The church’s founder M. K. Pacas died in 1682 before construction was completed, though his will stated that the building should be continue being built after his death. M. K. Pacas is buried in a crypt just below the entrance of the church, with an inscription that reads, "A sinner lies in here."