One of the oldest universities in the world, Vilnius University, has 12 faculties and around 23,000 students. The Old Campus houses the University administration and 3 faculties - History, Philology, and Philosophy. There is also a library which was founded in 1570. It contains more than 5 million prints and ancient manuscripts. Among them is one of two copies of the first Lithuanian book known to exist - the original Catechism of Martynas Mažvydas.
Vilnius University was founded at a time when the Reformation movement was spreading in Lithuania and Jesuit monks were invited to fight the Reformation. The monks of the Jesuit Order quickly took education into their own hands. And founded a college in 1569 before establishing Vilnius University in 1579.
The Vilnius University complex took form over several centuries and therefore consists of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Classicist buildings. The architecture of the medieval palace contrasts with the cheerful student atmosphere. Thirteen patios, arcades and galleries complement the complex. The courtyards are named after prominent university students and professors; memorial plaques have been erected in the Grand Courtyard to commemorate them.