For more than 140 years, the VU Botanical Garden has been an integral part of the university and city’s scientific, educational and social life. However, historical circumstances have led to the Botanical Garden being relocated several times.
The Botanical Garden is located in two places in Vilnius - Kairėnai and Vingis Parks – and both venues offer a variety of services. The total area of the Botanical Garden is a staggering 199 hectares. Different kinds of plants grow, bloom and ripen in natural communities during the warmer seasons. This includes species and varieties of breeds from far and nearby lands, as well as different types of grasses and trees. Nature lovers can always find something to look at in this garden.
The garden is located in Kairėnai on the grounds of an old manor where a park with a pond system and outbuildings are still preserved and various cultural and educational events are hosted: concerts, exhibitions, lectures, seminars, workshops and a variety of other events. The Botanical Garden is open to visitors throughout the year. The garden offers gazebos, picnic spaces, conference facilities, and educational programmes and tours that can be booked.
The first Botanical Garden of Vilnius University was founded in 1781 right in the Old Town; however, it was later closed and the botanical garden was reopened in Vingis Park in 1919. In 1974, the main part of the Botanical Garden was moved to the Kairėnai Manor, and it has been there ever since. It’s the largest in Lithuania (total area – 199 hectares) filled with different gardens, ponds, and an innovative laboratory. The Botanical Garden has a vast collection of approximately 10,000 plants and is considered one of the richest in the Baltics.