The Glass Quarter community was formed in October 2018 in the area of Stiklių, M. Antokolskio, Gaono, and Žydų streets. Its purpose is to organize cultural routes, tell hidden stories of different places of Vilnius Old Town, create traditions, improve infrastructure, attract investors and users of Old Town culture. Community association activities are voluntary.
The square that is over 600 years old, and once occupied most of the present Old Town, was a Jewish neighborhood of goldsmiths, glassblowers, artisans, and financiers. The Goldsmiths Guild was founded here in 1495 followed by the first glass manufacturing of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1547. This historic community was named the Glass Quarter in 2018, recalling the times when there were as many as three Stiklo streets: Stiklo 1, Stiklo 2 and Stiklo 3. As if hidden among the bigger streets of the city, the quarter is still surrounded by jewelers, local artists, artisan shops and workshops, cozy restaurants, the headquarters of the chamber orchestra, art galleries, and Stikliai Hotel, one of the city’s oldest.