The Glass Quarter community was formed in October 2018 in the area of Stiklių, M. Antokolskio, Gaono and Žydų streets. Its purpose is to organise cultural routes, tell hidden stories about Vilnius Old Town, establish traditions, improve infrastructure, and attract investors and individuals interested in Old Town culture. Community association activities are voluntary.
The 600-year-old square that once occupied most of the present Old Town was a Jewish neighbourhood of goldsmiths, glassblowers, artisans and financiers. The Goldsmiths Guild was founded there in 1495, followed by the first glass manufactory of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1547. This historic community was named the Glass Quarter in 2018, recalling the times when there were as many as three Stiklo streets: Stiklo 1, Stiklo 2 and Stiklo 3. As if hidden among the bigger streets of the city, the quarter is still surrounded by jewellers, local artists, artisan shops and workshops, cosy restaurants, the headquarters of the chamber orchestra, art galleries, and Stikliai Hotel, one of the city’s oldest.