The gallery is located in the ornate and spacious Chodkevičiai Palace, which features impressive late Classicism interiors. The gallery’s permanent exhibition provides a comprehensive introduction to the development of Lithuanian art from the 16th century to the beginning of the 20th century. The collection of work from the 18th and 19th centuries from the Vilnius Art School is of particular value. The gallery regularly hosts exhibitions, cultural evenings and classical music concerts.
The Vilnius Picture Gallery, a Division of the Lithuanian Art Museum, was founded in 1956. From 1956 to 1989, the gallery was housed in the Cathedral Basilica, and in the Artists Palace between 1989 and 1994, before moving to its current location: the Chodkevičiai Palace.