The Official Development Agency of the City of Vilnius

Literary Museum of A. Pushkin

In short

The museum building, with the exception of a masonry extension and some elements of decoration, has left unchanged till these days. When still living in Michailovskoje, Grigory and Varvara Pushkins placed an order to Vilnius craftsmen for manufacturing furniture for their farm-stead in Markuchiai. Most of them had been made from oaks of Vilnius environs. They were adorned with Pushkin family‘s emblems and Varvara Pushkina‘s initials. They have remained whole and are exhibited in a museum‘s memorial exposition, in which the authentic way of life of Vilnius landlords of the XIX end – XX beginning was preserved. In one of exposition rooms – A.Pushkin‘s corner – a small card-table and two upholstered in green velvet armchairs that belonged to the poet Alexander Pushkin, brought by Grigory and Varvara from Michailovskoje, are kept. Walls of that room have been upholstered with linen, embroidered by serf girls from Michailovskoje (a copy created by Vilnius textile craftsmens after the fashion of preserved patterns).  There are also exhibited V. Pushkina‘s painted pictures and her appliqué works, family photos.

Brief History

Alexander Pushkin is bound with Lithuania with biographical and literary ties. The youngest poet‘s son Grigory with his wife Varvara got married in 1883 in Vilnius and in 1899 – 1905 they lived in Markuchiai. They are also buried there. It is believed that in Vilnius Piatnicka church, the tsar Peter I baptised the poet‘s grand-grandfather Ibrahim Hanibal.

The exposition acquaints visitors with the history of translating A. Pushkin‘s works into the Lithuanian language and the translators who did them, as well as with the performances based on the motives of A. Pushkin’s works in the theatres of Lithuania.

Translations and translators of A. Pushkin‘s works

The first A.Pushkin‘s work, translated into Lithuanian, was the poem „A drowned man“, translated by Petras Arminas-Trupinelis, published in 1885 in a Lithuanian calendar of “Aušra” (the Dawn) society. Later, S. Dagilis translated fragments from “Evgeny Onegin”, P. Vaichaitis - “The Covetous Knight” and the unfinished lyrical drama “The Mermaid”. In 1902, in Suvalkai A. Pushkin’s „The Tale of the Fisherman and the fish“ was published, and in 1913 - the first critical work – the article of M. Gustaitis “Pushkin and the Crimea‘s sonnets“ – was published.

There are translators‘ manuscripts, photos, the published books in Lithuanian and artists‘ created illustrations exhibited in showcases.

Address:
Subačiaus g. 124, Vilnius 11345Google Maps
Working hours:

III-VII: 10:00 - 17:00

Tickets:

€1.20 adults
€0.60 pupils, students, pensioners
Free with Vilnius Pass 

By using this site, you consent to the use of cookies for analytical purposes, advertising and personalized content. For more information,read here.